[Xen-devel] Status-Infos for domU

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Status-Infos for domU
From: Thorolf Godawa <nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 14:57:18 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 14:09:42 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

after searching much more about this, I found out that a modified "xenmon.py" can do some of the job with getting the CPU-infos from the shared-memory.

But I also wan't to have other infos like domain-name, mem-usage, vm-state etc., like "xentop" shows them. I could get them if I parse the output of "xm list" but I also found out that there is a library "libxenstat" that could be used for this!

Where can I find detailed infos how to use this library with Python?

I compiled and installed it like menshioned in the thread:

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2005-10/msg00835.html

But I get mostly the same error as the author:
------------
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "xenmon2.py", line 35, in ?
    import xenstat
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/xenstat.py", line 5, in ?
    import _xenstat
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/_xenstat.so: undefined symbol: xen
stat_init
------------

I modified the Makefile from XEN 3.0.1 to compile and install it, "libxenstat" should be at the right place:

/usr/lib/libxenstat.a
/usr/lib/libxenstat.so -> libxenstat.so.0
/usr/lib/libxenstat.so.0 -> libxenstat.so.0.0
/usr/lib/libxenstat.so.0.0

What do I have to do to get it running?

In this thread from Oct 2005 Anthony Liguori also said that "libxenstat" should not (yet?) be used and that you should use the "xc python bindings" instead. Is this still true for XEN 3.0.1?

If so, how can I use this with Python, which library I have to import in the Python-program and where can I find detailed infos how to use this library to get the desired informations?

Please, don't tell me that the infos are in the C-source - maybe they are there, I already looked in there but because I'm not a C-programmer I didn't find anything usefull in there :-)

Thanks a lot for your help,
--

Chau y hasta luego,

Thorolf