RE: [Xen-devel] Domain save/migrate issue

To: "Anthony Liguori" <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Domain save/migrate issue
From: "Noam Taich" <noam.taich@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 01:32:56 -0800
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 09:45:21 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
My mentioning of the shared pages has brought up something else:
How LIVE can the live migration become?

What I mean is this:

Right before the last iteration of the main xc_linux_save() main while
loop,
The domain is suspended. After the loop, the shared info pages are
written.

So, interrupts would be ignored, as xen won't send them to a shutdown
domain.

Seems obvious, but my point is that should there be a way to get xen out
of suspended state, another improvement can be made:

Xen can be made to write to event channels of suspended domains (up to a
certain limit, and that capability can be turned on or off to finish
things off...)
Won't that mean that it would mean a lot less interrupts are lost?
The migration would be even more LIVE.