[Xen-devel] head.S' VIRT_START=

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] head.S' VIRT_START=
From: "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 12:30:14 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:40:51 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Could anyone explain why the xen-linux ELF image needs to have physical and
virtual addresses set to identical values
(the ELF loaders' use of p_paddr seems ill anyway, p_vaddr is what is really
meant to be read here, as the address
obtained is clearly neither a physical nor a machine address)? If they were set
like for native kernels, the delta could
be used instead of reading the VIRT_START= parameter, which presently is not
fully in sync with mainline since there now
exist those VMSPLIT_* config options, which aren't currently disabled for Xen
kernels. Thus I would see that either the
parameter goes away and the value gets deduced (if there is nothing else that
needs the program headers' p_paddr match
p_vaddr), or the config option gets disabled, or (if this is expected to work)
head.S gets updated.

Thanks, Jan