[Xen-devel] Using non-hvm domU networking takes down dom0 external netwo

To: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Using non-hvm domU networking takes down dom0 external networking
From: Adam Wendt <adam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 11:30:29
Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 19:41:29 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ever since the subarch changeset (8706) and through all the kernel versions
(.12.6, .14, .15, 16-rc1/2)  and up through the latest changeset (8776) when I
start a non-hvm domU and ping outside the xen machine the dom0 can no longer
ping
outside the machine (and domU fails from the start).

Here's a step by step:

1. Start machine, start xend, start pinging google from dom0, all is fine, leave
this running
2. Start non-hvm domU, ping its local address, ping the dom0 ip, all is still
fine and dom0 can still ping google.
3. Have domU attempt to ping google, immediatly dom0's ping to google dies and
nothing short of reboot seems to be able to get it back.

I have confirmed this on two separate machines with different network cards and
different motherboards, though both are em64t dual core chips. Changeset 8705
has
no problem but anything after that shows this behavior.

My networking setup is about as stock as it comes, no firewalls, basic eth0 with
default network scripts, generic domU network configuration.

Any ideas?

Adam Wendt
IPCoast, Inc.