[Xen-devel] Re: Kernel with very low memory requirement (~12MB) for domU

CJ van den Berg wrote:

hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/linux-2.6-xen.hg
cd linux-2.6-xen.hg
cp ~/config-vandenberg .config
make
cp vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-rc1-xenU
cp System.map System.map-2.6.16-rc1-xenU
xm create -c /crab/.xen/crab-domU.cfg

Just to be certain I followed these exact steps, except of course that I
used my own config instead of crab-domU.cfg, including pulling a completely
new clone. It builds and boots just fine, although it won't run with
memory=10 anymore. It now only works from memory=12 up. If you want I can
send you the built kernel in a private mail.

I received your kernel and the System.map in a private mail. Thank you, very kind of you. Unfortunately it produced the same result. Waiting for your mail to get trough, I decided to "hg clone" the sources to my home machine and try a compile there as well. It is running 2.6.14 Gentoo, but I suppose it shouldn't matter.

Both your kernel, my home-compiled one, and the ones I've been compiling in the test envirionment... all fail. Something is really strange. How come I can only run a kernel compiled out of the 2.6.12.6-sources from xen-3.0-testing... there must be something unique to this machine. Maybe I should reinstall xen or somethink. But that doesn't explain why a 2.6.12.6-kernel works and a 2.6.16-rc1 doesn't... sigh.

Well. Now I'll take a weekends rest from this project. We'll see what happens next week.

Best regards
Rickard Borgmäster