Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Xend XML-RPC Refactoring

To: Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Xend XML-RPC Refactoring
From: Matt Sottile <matt@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:47:40 -0700
Cc: Jeremy Katz <katzj@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sean Dague <japh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 12:11:29 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
For those who don't know the library Ron speaks of...

http://sexpr.sourceforge.net/

-m

On Jan 31, 2006, at 2:36 PM, Ronald G Minnich wrote:

Anthony Liguori wrote:
Hi,
I wanted to give the list a heads up about something a number of us discussed at the recent XenSummit. We would like to simplify Xend by utilizing more of the standard Python library and relying on less of our own code. The most obvious thing here is the current S-Expression/HTTP RPC interface. We would like to replace this with XML-RPC using Python's builtin support (xmlrpclib and SimpleXMLRPCServer). I've got some initial code and more details on the wiki (http:// wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Xend/XML-RPC). Early estimates are that this would reduce the code in Xend by about 33% (5k slocs). We would also like to standardize this XML-RPC interface so that third-parties write apps to this interface without worrying about massive breakage.

I think moving from s-exp's to XML is a bad move. If you want, use your s-expression library from LANL; it's used worldwide, and has done the job for a lot of projects.

I know of at least one project that moved from XML to s-exp's, using our library, because XML is just plain unwieldy.

thanks

ron

---
Matthew Sottile (matt@xxxxxxxx)