RE: [Xen-devel] Unmodified Windows etc on XEN 3.0 with Intel/VT or AMD/P

To: "Mark Williamson" <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, adam@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Unmodified Windows etc on XEN 3.0 with Intel/VT or AMD/Pacifica
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:39:15 +0100
Cc: Thorolf Godawa <nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:50:11 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I would say that if you have more than 4G (actually, over 3.5GB, as PCI
devices usually take up around 0.5GB) of memory, you should use Xen in
64-bit mode, and that in itself forces Dom0 to be x86-64 model as the
Xen and Dom0 need to be the same "bitness".

As for DomU's, you probably want to run those with Paravirtualization if
possible - at this point in time the full virtualization isn't fully
optimized, and the para-virt solutin should run a bit faster (and
probably a few less bugs too...).

If you haven't got more than 3.5GB of RAM, I would say that running
32-bit Xen & Dom0 would be the most efficient as the page-table-size
will be smaller than in a 64-bit system (which FORCES the use of PAE ->
64-bit pagetable entries -> double the size of the page-table).

--
Mats