[Xen-devel] SEDF unable to enforce hard shares under I/O intensive workl

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Stephan Diestelhorst <sd386@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] SEDF unable to enforce hard shares under I/O intensive workloads?
From: Diwaker Gupta <diwaker.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 15:06:00 -0800
Delivery-date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 23:12:12 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I have the following setup:

o VM1 hosts a webserver serving 10KB files
o VM2 hosts a webserver serving 100KB files
o dom0, VM1, VM2 all run on the same CPU (I'm running with nosmp, noht flags)
o SEDF weights are 2, 2, 2 (equal weights to all) with the extra time
flag set to 0 for all (so ideally every domain should get ~32% CPU and
no more)

I now load the web servers on VM1 and VM2 using external httperf
clients. In my tests, I can routinely see dom0 averaging 37% and
sometimes going as high as 40%.

Has anyone seen this behavior where under I/O intensive workloads SEDF
fails to enforce hard shares? Any ideas on how/why this might happen
will be much appreciated.

BTW, it seems in SEDF only 95% of the CPU is available to the domains.
So the remaining 5% is reserved for ?

Thanks,
Diwaker
--