[Xen-devel] can not lvcreate after lvm snapshot and "xm mem-set" and lvr

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] can not lvcreate after lvm snapshot and "xm mem-set" and lvremove
From: Wensheng Wang <wenshengwang@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 03:27:28 -0600
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 09:32:50 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am not sure if it's a xen bug or lvm bug, or just my bad hardware,
but here's how to reproduce:

/dev/vg0/centos1 is lvm block used by a domainU, it's 8G in size.

#lvcreate -L8192M -s -n snap1 vg0
#mount /dev/vg0/snap1 /mnt
do some copying files here
#umount /mnt
#lvremove /dev/vg0/snap1
not removed! it says can't allocated memory

#xm mem-set 0 512
#lvremove /dev/vg0/snap1
now it removed successfully

#lvcreate -L4096M -n fedora1 vg0
System lockup at this point.   I have to login from another terminal.
I couldn't kill the lvcreate process, couln't do anything lvm.  I have
to reboot the machine.

My vg0 is on /dev/md1, which is a software raid 1.
My dom0 os is fedora core 4.  Xen version is 3.0-testing

So what causes this?  What's my work around I can use to do lvm snapshot.

Wensheng