RE: Guest-visible phys2mach part of Xen arch-neutral API? was:[Xen-devel

To: "Kevin Fox" <Kevin.Fox@xxxxxxx>, "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Guest-visible phys2mach part of Xen arch-neutral API? was:[Xen-devel] Uses of &frame_table[xfn]
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:14:10 -0800
Delivery-date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 19:19:06 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Yes, that's the current status: No way to see underlying
> > machine address in other domains and thus no way for driver domains.

> Itanium cluster (~1000 nodes). I'm not sure if it would be possible to
> use Xen on the cluster without driver domains though. Just food for

Just to clarify: This doesn't say that there can't be driver domains.
Driver domains would need to be implemented p==m, same as domain0, except
they would need to be given a different EFI memory map.  They have
not been implemented on Xen/ia64 because they have not yet re-appeared
in Xen/x86.

But I am intrigued by your statement... are you assuming that
Xen and domain0 are both single-system-image across the 1000+
nodes?  I think one of the difficulties with implementing driver
domains is that Xen (in the hypervisor) needs to discover and
somehow partition all the devices.  This could be a real challenge
for huge clusters.

Thanks,
Dan