RE: [Xen-devel] SOLVED - more bizarre rtc behaviour...

To: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] SOLVED - more bizarre rtc behaviour...
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:03:26 +1100
Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 11:07:32 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I put some debug statements in hwclock, and it told me that the CMOS
clock was _not_ in BCD mode. That one machine is a proliant 1600. Two
other proliant 1600's I have were in BCD mode, as were a few other linux
machines I had lying around.

I then hacked a bit further and had it write to the status register to
force it back into BCD mode.

And suddenly all is well again. It looks like Linux can handle a non-BCD
mode cmos clock in theory, but in practice something about it is
seriously broken.

James