RE: [Xen-devel] -xen config...

To: "Anthony Liguori" <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] -xen config...
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 16:34:02 +1100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 05:36:37 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I don't know that it matters, but for what it's worth, this shouldn't
> create problems.
>
> ext3 is (almost) backwards compatible with ext2.  ext2 is suffient to
> mount the root device such that modules can be loaded (and then the
root
> filesystem is actually mounted).
>
> If you watch an Ubuntu boot-up, you'll notice that modules are loaded
> before the root file system is mounted as ext2.
>
> This is not likely to be the reason you're seeing filesystem
corruption
> as if there are any problems with the ext3 filesystem, the ext2 driver
> will refuse to mount it (complaining that it contains "unsupported
> features").
>
> Can you ellaborate on the filesystem corruption problems you have been
> seeing?  xm destroy (as opposed to xm shutdown) is an easy way to
> corrupt yourself.

Just input/output type errors. I'm completely willing to put it down to
abrupt crashes under xen, and am not really concerned about the
corruption itself, it was more just a comment on what triggered me to
notice the module situation.

Per your comments above... are you saying that if the filesystem is
mounted with ext2, you can then remount it with ext3? This would be
contrary to my understanding of how it works.

What happens under Debian (and probably almost all distributions which
use a ramdisk), is that the initramfs is extracted to a ramdisk, enough
modules are loaded to mount the root filesystem, which is then mounted
and control passed to it.

I'm trying out xfs now :)

James