Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Xen Virtual Framebuffer

To: Gerd Knorr <kraxel@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Xen Virtual Framebuffer
From: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:23:07 -0600
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 17:25:20 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gerd Knorr wrote:

Anthony Liguori wrote:

Now that's 3.0.0's out, I thought it would be a good time to bring up the topic of framebuffer virtualization.

I threw together a proof-of-concept over the weekend of a simple virtual framebuffer/keyboard/mouse. The basic design is have a vmalloc()'d buffer in the guest exposed as /dev/fb0 and mmap()'d in dom0. There's also a simple message system for keyboard/mouse events.

Browsed through the code, looked at the wiki page now ...

Excellent, I actually have made some major updates but not posted the bundle yet.

First, I've hacked up something very simliar for user-mode-linux, patches are at http://www.suse.de/~kraxel/uml/patches/2.6.15-rc5/, you might want to have a look and steel some ideas (unless you already did).

Excellent, I'll check it out.

Note that the input system got some sysfs-related changes recently, so the patches really work on very latest kernels only.

Some more comments:

 * why do you put the mfn and evtchn into the start page?  IMHO that
   should be handled by xenstore, like it is done for virtual network
   and disk.

xenstore is not available at start-of-day. This is why the console doesn't use it. I'm not tied to using the start_info_t though--just figured the same arguement could be made for the framebuffer as the console.

 * I would create two different input devices for mouse/keyboard
   (although strictly seen it isn't really needed) to avoid confusing
   userspace apps.

That's what I'm doing right now. The first drop of the code was a bit of a mess wrt how the ring queue was used.

 * I would simply reuse the input event struct from
   include/linux/input.h for dom0 -> domU input event delivery
   instead of creating something new.

Is this too Linux specific though?  I could just copy the structure.

 * i18n keyboard is really tricky (that is a huge mess in vmx btw).
   I think the only sane approach is to let the guest (domU) do
   all the i18n handling and try to avoid doing any key mapping
   in the host (dom0).  If you have *two* instances (both host
   and guest) doing keyboard mapping and both not even knowing
   what the other one is doing you have absolutely no chance to
   get it right ...

How would you imagine this working? I'll be getting X11 events in dom0 so would you just pass them to domU and let it do the mapping? I know QEmu has to use keyboard maps depending on locality. We wouldn't push that into the domU kernel right?

i18n is hard and the thing I really don't know how to do right :-) Help here is greatly appreciated.

Keeping track of the in-kernel screen changes (fbcon) is easy, tracking userspace is more difficuilt but doable, the uml framebuffer driver does that by watching page faults: The no_page handler maps the page and marks it "dirty", the update function does zap_pte_range to kill the mappings so the no_page handler is called on the next update again.

Yes, the latest code just implements all the 2d ops and passes a message through the framebuffer ring queue for updates. VNC in console mode is quite snappy.

I'll take a look at the uml framebuffer to see how it handles page faults. I was thinking of something similiar but didn't know how to approach it.

The latest Xen-code is at http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/aliguori/vfb-20051216.bundle

Thanks Gerd!

Regards,

Anthony Liguori