[Xen-devel] Follow up on the OpenIPMI in Dom0 thread

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Follow up on the OpenIPMI in Dom0 thread
From: "Shureih, Tariq" <tariq.shureih@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:19:35 -0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 01:26:36 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I just signed up after reading the thread discussing the OpenIPMI in Dom0
question.

FreeIPMI is just another implementation similar to OpenIPMI.
OpenIPMI, however, is the kernel-included IPMI driver in the stock
kernel. In addition OpenIPMI provides a user space library to
abstract the byte counting complexities of IPMI with a nice C
interface. FreeIPMI provides a similar library as well.
All the implementation (IPMIUtil, IPMITool, FreeIPMI, OpenIPMI) provide a set
of tools to access the IPMI
data in the BMC.

To use the BMC In-Band, you will need the kernel driver; no
Question (usually the KCS interface). I am not sure how FreeIPMI would access
the BMC without a kernel driver and OpenIPMI is the stock-kernel Linux driver.

As for loading the driver in Dom0, I personally have never tried
it. I think I will need to find the time and play with it a bit to
see what's going on, but my guess from the dmesg output is that
there is no access to the hardware registers (SMBIOS or ACPI
tables) from DOM0 and the driver is unable to retrieve the KCS
port address.

One thing to keep in mind, the IPMI bus and BMC are I2C devices/bus.  The IPMI
bus is a private I2C bus which is only accessable from the BMC (acts
like an I2C controller), so it could be that Xen's DOM0 is
preventing access to it for some reason.

This might support my above theory about access within Xen to the I2C subsystem
and/or specific mapped memory regions?

Feedback is welcome.  I will also report back as I find out more information.

Tariq Shureih
Open Source Technology Center
Intel Corporation
Hillsboro, Oregon.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance
It is the illusion of knowledge -- Steven Hawking