Re: [Xen-devel] a question about popen() performance on domU

To: "Petersson, Mats" <mats.petersson@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] a question about popen() performance on domU
From: xuehai zhang <hai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 08:02:06 -0600
Cc: Kate Keahey <keahey@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Tim Freeman <tfreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 14:03:42 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mats,

Thanks a lot for the response.

I did have a look at popen, and essentially, it does the following [ the
real code is MUCH more complicated, doing lots of open/dup/close on
pipes and stuff]:
if (!fork())
exec("/bin/sh", "sh", "-c", cmd, NULL);

I took a look at the popen source code too yesterday and the above lines are the esstential part. A thread at gnu list (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-global/2005-06/msg00001.html) suggets popen() might depend on how fast /bin/sh is executed. On both my VM and the physical machine, the kernel version is 2.6.11, glibc version is 2.3.2.ds1-21, and /bin/sh is linked to /bin/bash. I also tried to see any difference of the shared libraries used by /bin/sh on both machines and found /bin/sh on the physical machine uses libraries from /lib/tls while for the VM this directory is disabled.

VM$ ldd /bin/sh
        libncurses.so.5 => /lib/libncurses.so.5 (0xb7fa7000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb7fa3000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7e70000)
        /lib/ld-.so.2 => /lib/ld-.so.2 (0xb7fea000)

PHYSICAL$  ldd /bin/sh
        libncurses.so.5 => /lib/libncurses.so.5 (0xb7fa6000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/tls/libdl.so.2 (0xb7fa2000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0xb7e6d000)
        /lib/ld-.so.2 => /lib/ld-.so.2 (0xb7fea000)

The fork creates another process, which then executes the /bin/sh, which
again causes another fork/exec to take place in the effort of executing
the actual command given.
So the major component of popen would be fork() and execl(), both of
which cause, amongst other things, a lot of page-table work and
task-switching.
Note that popen is implemented in glibc [I took the 2.3.6 source code
from www.gnu.org for my look at this], so there's no difference in the
implementation of popen itself - the difference lies in how the Linux
kernel handles fork() and exec(), but maybe more importantly, how
task-switches and page-tables are handled in Linux native and Xen-Linux.
Because Xen keeps track of the page-tables on top of Linux's handling of
page-tables, you get some extra work here. So, it should really be
slower on Xen than on native Linux. [In fact, the question came up not so long ago, why Xen was SLOWER than
native Linux on popen (and some others) in a particular benchmark, and
the result of that investigation was that it's down to, mainly,
task-switching takes longer in Xen.]

I agree with your explanation about Xen was SLOWER than native Linux on popen because of the longer task-switching in Xen. The problem I met (popen runs faster on Xen VM than the physical machine) looks abnormal. I ran several home-made benchmarking programming and used the "strace" tool to trace the system call performance. The first program is to test the performance of both popen and pclose (a loop of popen call with a followup pclose call) and the source of the program and the strace results are available at http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~hai/tmp/gt2gram/strace-popen/strace.txt. The results shows the waitpid syscall costs more time on physical machine than on the VM (see the usecs/call valuee in the following table).

                % time     seconds  usecs/call     calls    errors syscall
                ------ ----------- ----------- --------- ---------
----------------
VM:             63.43    0.127900        6395        20           waitpid
PHYSICAL
MACHINE:        93.87    0.532498       26625        20           waitpid

waitpid is called by pclose as shown in the glibc source code. So, my original post questioning the performance of popen should take pclose into consideration too. A more accurate question I should post is, popen+pclose executes faster on my VM than my physical machine. The popen/pclose benchmark I did narrows the problem down to waitpid that waitpid somehow is suffering on the physical machine. So, I did a followup experiment to test the fork and waitpid performance on both machines. The program is a loop of fork call with a followup waitpid call. The source of the program and the strace results are available at http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~hai/tmp/gt2gram/strace-fork/strace.txt. The strace results confirm the waitpid costs more time on the physical machine (154 usec/call) than the VM (56 usec/call). However, the program runs faster on the physical machine (not like the popen/pclose program) and the results suggest the fork syscall used on the VM costs more time than the clone syscall on the physical machine. I have a question here, why the physical machine doesn't use fork syscall but the clone syscall for the same program?

The reason it is not would probably have something to do with the
differences in hardware on Linux vs. Xen platforms, perhaps the fact
that your file-system is a virtual block-device and thus lives inside a
file that is perhaps better cached or otherwise handled in a different
way on the Xen-system.

Let me describe the hardware context of my VM and physical machine. The host of my VM and the physical machine I tested against the VM, are two nodes of a physical cluster with the same hardware configuration (Dual Intel PIII 498.799 MHz CPU, 512MB memory, a 4GB HD with same partitions). The physical machine is rebooted with "nosmp". The VM host is rebooted into Xen with "nosmp" (Xen version information is "Latest ChangeSet: 2005/05/03 17:30:40 1.1846 4277a730mvnFSFXrxJpVRNk8hjD4Vg"). Xen dom0 is assigned 96MB memory and the VM is the only user domain running on the VM host with 395MB memory. Both dom0 and the VM are pinned to CPU 0.

Yes, the backends of the VM's VBDs are loopback files in dom0. Three loopback files are used to map to three partitions inside of the VM. I acutally thought about the possible caching effect of the VM's VBD backends, but not sure how to testify it and compare it with the physical machine. Is it possible the Xen has different assurance of writing back than the physical machine, that is, the data is kept in memory longer before is actually written to disk?

Now, I'm not saying that there isn't a possibility that something is
managed differently in Xen that makes this run faster - I just don't
really see how that would be likely, since everything that happens in
the system is going to be MORE complicated by the extra layer of Xen
involved.

If anyone else has some thoughts on this subject, it would be
interesting to hear.

I agree. But given the VM having same hardware/software configuration as the physical machine, it runs faster still looks abnormal to me. I wonder if there is any other more efficient debugging strategies I can use to investigate it. I appreciate if any one has any more suggestions.

Thanks again.

Xuehai