Re: [Xen-devel] serial output of xen inside vmware?

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] serial output of xen inside vmware?
From: "Aaron J. Marks" <ajmarks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:41:02 -0500 (EST)
Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:41:10 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Aaron J. Marks wrote:

> i'd like to attach a serial console from a linux host to a vm running xen
> inside vmware 5. i attempted to get this to work using an old xen-devel
> post, but couldn't get it. is there a how-to floating around anywhere?

okay, i got serial output to a file to work, but can't seem to make an
interactive serial connection to xen. here's what i did:

1) compiled xen with env var 'debugger' set to 'y'

2) added 'com1=9600,8n1' to xen boot line

3) set virtual com1 in vmware to named pipe ("this end is client"/"other
end is app") called /tmp/xen-com1.

4) ran socat on host machine:

   socat UNIX-LISTEN:/tmp/xen-com1,unlink-early,fork pty,link=/tmp/com1

   to convert pipe to pty.

   (both the pipe and the pty appear in /tmp)

5) booted xen in vmware (at some point, it stops sending output to vmware
   -- a good sign)

6) connected to /tmp/com1 with kermit:

   kermit -b 9600 -l /tmp/com1

7) typed ^A^A^A then 'h', but got no response.

what did i miss?

thanks,
-A.