Re: [Xen-devel] can't start domU

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] can't start domU
From: Steve Dobbelstein <steved@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:59:25 -0600
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:59:52 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Charles Coffing" <ccoffing@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 11/11/2005 05:13:25 PM:

> <43751EDA.80304@xxxxxxxxxx>,
> Nivedita Singhvi <niv@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Charles Coffing wrote:
> >> I've been getting hangs while attempting to start domUs on recent
> >> changesets.  I get an error such as:
> >> Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not
> >> working.
> [snip]
> >
> > All of these are failures to create the vif devices.
> > Please check /var/log/messages, xend- debug.log, etc.
> > You can put a set - x in your /etc/xen/vif- bridge (or equivalent)
> > script for more verbose detail.
> >
> > Also, check to see that your install went successfully.
> >
> >  From previous debugging over the past week, most of
> > these cases were the lack of brctl (or execute perms
> > for root), or the lack of other utilities (make install
> > should catch these).
>
> The obvious stuff looks good:  The install went okay; brctl exists; all
> scripts are executable.
>
> I'll look more closely at the bridge script.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?  I'm seeing the same thing but
didn't want to just post a "me, too".

My domU config file does not have a "vif" entry; the defaults are fine for
me.

/var/log/messages, /var/log/xend-debug.log, and /var/log/xend.log don't
contain any additional information; they look the same as the ones on a
system that is working.

I added lines to /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge:
echo "Turning debugging on"
echo "turning debugging on">/tmp/vif-bridge.out
set -x

I don't get any debug output upon running "xm create".  I don't get a file
/tmp/vif-bridge, so it appears that vif-bridge isn't even called.

hotplug is at version 058.  I tried the "echo /sbin/hotplug >
/proc/sys/kernel/hotplug" trick, but that didn't help.  Besides, the system
that works is also running hotplug 058 and it has /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
set to /sbin/udevsend.

Apparently something is not creating the vif for the domain.  I have been
crawling through the xend scripts to try and figure out where vifs get
created in hopes of finding some clues as to what is going wrong, but being
barely a python newbie I get lost in the code.  :(  (Time to add another
programming language to my skill set.)

Any solutions or pointers on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Steve D.