RE: [Xen-devel] Driver Architecture Changes

To: "Ewan Mellor" <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Driver Architecture Changes
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 07:25:10 -0800
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:25:28 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hmmm... It appears that this has completely broken the
block drivers for ia64.   Since it is such a massive change,
I'd imagine it will be difficult to track down the problem(s).
I had rather hoped that we were done with this kind of
massive change pre-3.0.

With Xen/ia64 block devices working in the main tree, I was
going to ask if it might make sense for some basic Xen/ia64
tests to be part of the pre-commit regression test, but alas
I guess I am too late.

Ewan, would you be willing to work with Kevin to get your
re-architected driver infrastructure working on Xen/ia64?
Hopefully it will be easier than I fear but utilizing your direct
expertise with the new architecture, it will be much easier
than Kevin figuring it out from scratch.

Until this is all working again, it won't make much sense to
merge xen-ia64-unstable into xen-unstable, and there are
some fairly critical bug fixes already waiting.

Thanks,
Dan