RE: [Xen-devel] modify_ldt errors on x86_64

To: "Karl Rister" <kmr@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] modify_ldt errors on x86_64
From: "Nakajima, Jun" <jun.nakajima@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 15:59:12 -0800
Cc: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 23:59:21 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Karl Rister wrote:
> On Saturday 12 November 2005 7:06 am, Ian Pratt wrote:
>>> I am trying to run some Java tests in a dom0 running on
>>> x86_64 and I am receiving the following error message:
>>>
>>> setupLdt: modify_ldt: Invalid argument
>>>
>>> After 2 of these the JVM just hangs and I have to kill it.
>>> This does not happen when booting the systerm without Xen.  I
>>> have tried several different changesets from the past few
>>> days and have seen the same thing on all of them.  My current
>>> changeset is 7746.  Has anyone else seen this?
>>
>> No, this is the first report.
>>
>> Which version of Java are you using. Have you a simple test case?
>
> "java -version" returns the following on baremetal Linux, this simple
> test is enough to cause the problem in domain0
>
> java version "1.4.2"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2)
> Classic VM (build 1.4.2, J2RE 1.4.2 IBM build cxia32142sr1a-20050209
> (JIT enabled: jitc))

I tested "java -version" on x86_64 xenlinux, and got:

java version "1.4.2-02"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
Blackdown-1.4.2-02)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build Blackdown-1.4.2-02, mixed mode)

I downloaded it from ftp.tux.org.

> An strace on the java process shows these two messages being dumped
> over and over again in a loop:
>
> rt_sigprocmask(SIG_UNBLOCK, [ILL TRAP BUS FPE SEGV], ~[KILL USR2 STOP
> RTMIN RT_1], 8) = 0
> --- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---

Jun
---