[Xen-devel] Re: xm-test domain creation delay

To: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: xm-test domain creation delay
From: Sean Dague <sean@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:26:42 -0500
Cc: Dan Smith <danms@xxxxxxxxxx>, Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:26:45 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 04:10:25PM +0000, Ewan Mellor wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 08:00:06AM -0800, Dan Smith wrote:
>
> > EM> The easiest way to do this would be with the command line tools
> > EM> xenstore-read and xenstore-write.  If you use these tools without
> > EM> the -s option, this should mean that they write using the domain's
> > EM> implicit root, so if you don't use a path with a / at the front,
> > EM> then the path will be unique per-domain.
> >
> > This is not quite as easy as it sounds.  In order to simply copy the
> > user's xenstore-write binary into the ramdisk, we would need to also
> > copy several of their libraries like libc and libxenctrl.  We could
> > recompile a static version of xenstore-write to go into the ramdisk,
> > which may work.
>
> Well it would be better if we could compile and link against the version of
> libc in the ramdisk!  That would be a different version of xenstore-write to
> the one that we compile for the user of course, which might be a pain to do,
> but that's the right way to do it.  How do all the other applications in the
> ramdisk get compiled now?

I agree, building the xentools in build root would be ideal here.  I'm not
sure how hard it is to integrate it though.

I think we've got a more general issue of how to usefully get the xenstore
tools into a DomU which may have different build env than Dom0.  It would be
nice if there was a target to build *only* the xenstore tools expected for
DomU, that might help in this regard.

        -Sean