[Xen-devel] RE: Please pull xen-ia64-unstable

To: "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] RE: Please pull xen-ia64-unstable
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 07:27:06 -0800
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:29:45 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > This includes changes to adapt to your new binding
> > interface (thanks Kevin!), a fix to adapt to the
> > new config option where blkfront can be built as
> > a module, one more driver change (ifdef __ia64__)
> > and a couple other minor tweaks.
>
> I'm not too worried about a few short-term ifdef's as long as
> they get
> followed up and result in appropriate changes to interfaces. Clearly
> you need some changes to the gnttab interface, just as you
> needed some
> to the evtchn interface.

Yes.  Actually that specific line (as submitted by Kevin Tian)
didn't have an ifdef, because on x86 the gnttab_map_vaddr macro
translates in  a way such that assignment is redundant.  I put
the ifdef and comment in: 1) to call attention to the fact that
the ia64 interface for GNTTABOP_map_grant_ref (as designed by
Matt Chapman) is slightly different, though compatible with x86
and 2) because if something on x86 changed behind the curtains
(e.g. in the x86 version of the macro), this new line of code
might break x86 in a way which would be difficult to debug.

Note that xen/arch/ia64/xen/grant_table.c is almost identical
to xen/common/grant_table.c, except for a few ifdef's plus
some formatting/renaming changes that haven't been tracked
in the ia64 side.  (I fear one or two other subtle differences
have crept in that may result in problems in ia64.)  It has
been on our to-do list to merge this back together and clarify
the differences in the gnttab interface, but we were delaying
until ia64 multiple domains were stable again (or post-3.0).

Dan