[Xen-devel] Lightweight domains

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Lightweight domains
From: Haavard Bjerke <havard.bjerke@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 14:49:33 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:46:48 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
We've had good mileage from running Xen in the CERN Grid testbed and even
running
regular jobs. Running three different virtual nodes, a worker node, computing
element and a storage element on the same machine seems to be quite feasible.

Further, we want to use a system to allow domains to be brought up more
dynamically. We want these domains to be minimal, but allow optional software
to be added on demand from a library (eg. of rpms).

My current approach is to use SmartFrog, which is specially tailored for
system configuration tasks. A SmartFrog server runs on the host domain and can
be accessed from a SmartFrog client on another machine. The entire
configuration of a system - domains and their parameters can be specified in a
single configuration file.

I'd like to hear your views on this. Is there a better tool for the job than
SmartFrog?

Are there any tools already in Xen or in development that could be useful for
this purpose?

Has something like this been attempted or discussed before?

Thanks,
Havard