Re: [Xen-devel] App virtualisation, not OS virtualisation

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] App virtualisation, not OS virtualisation
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:20:38 +0100
Cc: graham <the_ether@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:18:17 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> - I want to have several copies of an application running, each with a
> remote user. How do I pass the keyboard / mouse data to the right
> application if there is only one Windows message queue?

Sadly, I don't have much to suggest here but I'm not a Windows person...
Thought of getting a more expensive Windows which allows multiple RDP
connections?  That'll probably really hurt the wallet, though...

> If the NX you are referring to is Linux terminal server then that's no
> use because:
>
> - it doesn't solve the two problems I mentioned above

Well, separate NX login sessions *ought* to solve both problems but it'll only
work for Linux apps *unless* your app is friendly enough to run under Wine
(might be worth a try).

> Well that was my original question. As I understand it, Xen has been
> designed to act as an encapsulation of the OS so that several copies /
> versions of OS can be run. But it seems a waste of memory (and licence
> fee?) if I need a complete copy of Windows XP for each copy of the
> application I want to run

I can't remember what the MS position is on licensing virtual machines these
days.

> I was wondering whether Xen, or a part of Xen
> could run on top of Windows XP to encapsulate just the application
> instead, so that I could run multiple copies of the application but just
> one copy of the OS.

Not really: Xen is extremely oriented towards encapsulating operating systems.
Encapsulating an application (whilst useful) is too "high level" for Xen;
it's really a separate problem space, since it'd basically share no code in
common with Xens current functionality.

Unfortunately, there appear to be fewer means of encapsulating apps on Windows
than Linux anyhow - there's the separate RDP logins approach, or you may find
there's a commercial "jail" system for Windows (I thought Virtuozzo used to
have something for this but I think they dropped it...).  There's also the
various third party login solutions like Citrix, etc.  Other than that I
don't have any ideas...

HTH,
Mark