Re: [Xen-devel] Network-bridge script with bonding and vlan

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Network-bridge script with bonding and vlan
From: Greg Brackley <lists-xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:16:49 +1300
Delivery-date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 01:14:32 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ewan Mellor" <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Firstly, I would wait for the new network-bridge script to be pushed, or at
the very least use the one that Kurt Garloff posted to the list yesterday.

I've been following that thread. From my limited understanding of the xen bridged networking I see it decomposed into three areas:

1. The hardware driver support
2. The bridge
3. The xen virtual device support (backend-front driver)

In a trivial case, the hardware support might just have eth0. In my case I want to have eth0, eth1, bond0, and several eth0.xx VLAN interfaces. I understand most people are configuring these with their distribution specific network support.

In the trivial case, the bridge is xenbr0 (was xen-br0). In my case I think I want one bridge per domain (including one for xen0). I'm trying to use FC4 network configuration to do this, because I don't see how the xen script helps do this. I see that I need to create a bridge per domain (and the standard scripts assume one per machine).

In the trivial case the xen support is vif0.0->veth0, and vifN.0->eth0 (where N is a non-zero domain number). The scripts seem to treat xen0 as a special case, and I'm not sure why.

In a production system (c.f. a development system) I feel it would be desirable to be able to mix and match the three different areas. It seems that the scripts assume a fixed xen0 configuration (of 1 interface and one bridge, and one vif), and don't allow the running of vif script for domain 0.

In the configuration that I'm trying to get going, I am not renaming veth0 in domain0. Instead I just treat veth0 as the main interface for that domain, and give it an IP address and route to it. Is that bad idea? By not doing renaming of interfaces, I am trying to avoid having to copy over addresses.

The fake MAC address we use is FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF, which is this value for
reasons of compatibility with STP, but I don't understand this, I just do as
I'm told ;-)

I'm not too sure about this either, but I would like to know what is really means. I can't find a definition for it , e.g.on http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/index.shtml. Which drivers understand this mac address? What does it really mean? I'm guessing it means something along the lines of use the mac address from the source when forwarding.

Greg :-)