Re: [Xen-devel] domU crash

On Sat, 2005-10-15 at 15:51 +0100, Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 15 Oct 2005, at 15:28, Stephan Böni wrote:
>
> > Well, i'm starting a domU but it crashes. What i've done wrong?
> >
> > > cd /etc/xen
> > > xm create inhouse
> > Using config file "inhouse".
> > Started domain inhouse
> > >

> xend is trying to look up the device number for /dev/hda1. Since your
> system doesn;t have a /dev/hda1, and you are presumably using udev,
> this lookup fails. If you created that node manually in /dev/ then all
> should be fine.
>
> Really the device name should be passed to domU as a string, and
> resolved to a number there. Or xend can just have a table of simple
> name lookups for thing like hda, hdb, ...
>
>   -- Keir
I am really confused on this one, as I can get it to work no matter what
I use sometimes, other times I have seen it where it won't work unless I
only use /dev/sdXX where XX does not exist at all on the dom0.

With changeset 7353 on my UP machine I got 100% success rate of domU
creation like this, all the domU's in this case are Centos 4.1, which
uses udev. The dom0 has a /dev/sda and /dev/sdb, if I used /dev/sdaX or
sdbX on this machine I always got domU creation failures, I switched all
the domU's to use /dev/sddX and 100% creation every time.

My SMP dom0 has sda, sdb and sdc, I use lvm's for domU's all located on
sdb.

disk = [ 'phy:VG01/idom1,sda1,w' ,'phy:VG01/domain1-swap,sda2,w']
root = "/dev/sda1"

What should I be using?

The domU's will all come up like this,with roughly 30% failure rate on
domU creation and 20% failure rate on vif creation( still digging on
this so not a big deal) and reattempting create will resolve both
issues.

It would probably save everyone some grief if this would be clarified.
Based upon what you are saying the domU should be using a device
designation that really exists, yet I regularly see where that indeed is
not the case, and sometimes has even hindered successful domU creation.

If someone would be so kind as to explain exactly how this really should
be setup it would probably increase everyones productivity involved. I
would gladly create the doc if I knew for sure what is the proper setup.

Regards,
Ted