RE: [Xen-merge] xen subarch

To: "Rik van Riel" <riel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-merge] xen subarch
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 00:29:38 +0100
Cc: Arjan van de Ven <arjanv@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-merge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 23:26:53 +0000
Sender: xen-merge-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Arjan pointed out a big problem with trees like this: they
> contain all changes in one big tree, while Linus prefers
> smaller, individually digestible chunks.

I don't think we'll actually want to point Linus at this tree.

I think we'll want to break bits out of this tree into a series of
patches that get fed to Linus/Andrew. If they accept them, we'll get
them back when we do a pull & merge.

Changesets within the merge tree should be useful for helping select
patches to break out, but the initial set of patches we'll want to send
upstream will just be cleanups and not contain the xen subarch part at
all.

I'm totally open to other suggestions, though. Perhaps we should have a
directory of broken-out patches as part of the linux tree?

Ian