[Xen-devel] xenstore documentation

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] xenstore documentation
From: Jacob Gorm Hansen <jacobg@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 19:03:30 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 17:01:04 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hi,

it would be extremely useful for me if someone with knowledge of how
the current tools and drivers use Xenstore would be kind enough to
update the Wiki with current information. I have been spending quite a
lot of time trying to get my domU connected to a block device in dom0
using a home-brewed domain creation tool, and I am still at the
'Timeout connecting to device!' stage.

My stragegy has been to log all calls to xs_write() under Xend, and
then replay those same calls with my own tool on a freshly booted
machine, but to no avail. In general things work with Xend, at least
as long as I am not trying to restart xenstored without a reboot.

I have noticed that with the most recent Xen-unstable, the store is
now split into /vm and /local, but there seems to be some overlap,
e.g. UUIDs are in some cases referred from /local even though they
seem to only belong in /vm. Also, the amount of info in the store
seems to be growing to Windows Registry-like proportions, making it
very hard to keep up and the store hard to navigate. Perhaps we could
agree not to write any default settings to the store to save some
space and confusion?

Thanks in advance,
Jacob
--