Re: [Xen-devel] (no subject)

To: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] (no subject)
From: Christian Limpach <christian.limpach@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:18:32 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:16:17 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 9/19/05, Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)
<dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx> wrote:
> The primary changes are:
> 1) wherever a make is done with ARCH=xen, this needs
>   to be converted to ARCH=ia64.  (This can probably
>   be done as ARCH=$(XENARCH) or something like that
>   but I'm not sure how to do it without requiring x86
>   and x86_64 builds to specify XENARCH= at build time.)

Please define LINUX_ARCH in buildconfigs/Rules.mk and use that where
we run make ARCH=xen.
If you can name your config file xen0_defconfig_ia64 and use
LINUX_ARCH for the path, then you won't need to duplicate the config
file code.
Please also change all mk.linux files.

> 2) A sequence of mkbuildtree "massage" commands need to
>   be executed before mkbuildtree does its linking thing.
>   Perhaps this could be done as:
>    if -e mkbuildtree.prelink.$XENARCH
>        mkbuildtree.prelink.$XENARCH
>   Though ia64 doesn't need it, maybe also add a "postlink"
>   equivalent?

Why do you need to move these out of the way in the first place?  If
any of the changes we've made break ia64, then we should cleanup our
changes.

> Could someone with the necessary build knowledge make
> the improvements and commit this please? Let me know if/when
> it goes in and I will populate the ia64 -sparse branches.

Please give creating a patch another try, taking the suggestions above
into consideration.  Thanks!

    christian