Re: [Xen-devel] virtualGraphicCards

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] virtualGraphicCards
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 15:58:56 +0100
Cc: "Retzki, Sascha \[Xplain\]" <sascha.retzki@xxxxxxxxx>, Daniel Hulme <dh286@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:57:30 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> You mean
> "Graphic console support - post 3.0"
> ?
> I don't quiet get:
> 1 kernel fb mapping? or X server?

The idea is that the graphical console will have "back/front" structure
similar to the other devices, with a viewer in dom0 reading screen data from
the guest and either displaying it, or exporting it over the network.

The question here is: do we write a kernel framebuffer driver for this (and
get the X server to use that) or implement it in the X server directly?  I
think the former solution is probably going to have the best cost/benefit.

One thing that's important (IMHO) is not to require networking in order to get
the virtual display - makes it easier to install, configure stuff, etc via a
graphical interface.

Cheers,
Mark