[Xen-devel] Another update of xenoprof-oprofile

To: <joserenato.santos@xxxxxx>, "Zhai, Edwin" <edwin.zhai@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Another update of xenoprof-oprofile
From: "Yang, Xiaowei" <xiaowei.yang@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:53:37 +0800
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:51:51 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Renato,
This is our latest update of xenoprof-oprofile, to add the feature of
mapping all IP samples for each passive domain applications to an extra
entry. Now let me explains more of our enhancement.
- We split Xen HV samples for each existing domain (whatever domU or
VMX). There are some time we not only care about the total number of HV,
but we need to know how much percent of HV works on behave of which
domain.
- We take more advantage of IP samples for passive domains. Originally
passive domain samples are presented as a whole. What we did is to
sepreate them to 3 parts: Xen(HV)/kernel/apps. In the function level,
samples belonging to the first 2 parts can be mapped to their symbol
tables (we also passed passive domain kernel symbol to oprofiled). And
in IP level, how many times of the IP happened can be seen more clearly.

BTW, when debug the code, I found another little bug. Instead of using
cpu_has_ht, use smp_num_siblings to judge if HT is enabled. cpu_has_ht
is always true on a cpu with HT. Then we can take full use of all 8
counters when HT disabled.

Thanks,
-Xiaowei