[Xen-devel] Re: recreate PPC repository?

To: Hollis Blanchard <hollisb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: recreate PPC repository?
From: James Bulpin <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:38:53 +0100
Cc: Jimi Xenidis <jimix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:37:02 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hollis,

Done, xenppc-unstable.hg is now a clone of xen-unstable.hg.

Merging, particularly when files have been deleted, is definitely one of Mercurial's weak spots right now. One of my colleagues is investigating.

Regards,
James

Hollis Blanchard wrote:
Hi James, could you do us a favor and blow away the xenppc-unstable.hg tree on xenbits? 'rm -rf xenppc-unstable.hg; hg clone xen-unstable.hg xenppc-unstable.hg' would be great.

(I'm CCing xen-devel so people know what watch for.)

At one point, when I pulled the latest xen-unstable.hg into xenppc-unstable.hg, hg required me to do a manual merge of a whole bunch of files I hadn't actually modified. This was an hg bug that we think was fixed in hg tip yesterday. Not knowing what I was doing, I did the merge and then committed the result. That commit created a local branch on all those files (thousands of them). Now, any time those files are changed upstream in xen-unstable, when I pull I have to merge them into the local branches.

A lot of this merging can be automatic, but when dealing with deletes (e.g. the patches sparse tree directories), you get a lot of prompts like "locally modified file has been deleted. (k)eep or (d)elete?". I've also had to still do some manual merges to files I haven't changed, like x86 Linux defconfigs.

It might be possible to work around this, but I've spent the morning experimenting and haven't found one. At this point in our development it's just easier to lose the little history we've accumulated so far rather than live with a slightly twisted tree forever.

In conclusion, if you're asked to manually merge a file you haven't touched, DON'T COMMIT IT. Get help first... :)