Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Fine-grained proxy resource charging

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Fine-grained proxy resource charging
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 18:13:26 +0100
Cc: jlg@xxxxxxxxxx, Lucy Cherkasova <lucy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:13:30 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Yes, I would join in asking the same question: how to get a working
> configuration for multiple driver domains each hosting a single device
> driver?

You can only really have one domain running the actual driver.  The best
strategy would therefore be to keep as much IO processing as possible in
other domains (preferably in the guests themselves).

With user-accessible hardware (e.g. Infiniband), unprivileged guests will be
able to access their hardware directly using their own CPU time (and get
better performance in the process).  Of course Infiniband is rather expensive
so this won't be the most common way of doing stuff for some time (if at
all).

Cheers,
Mark