[Xen-devel] Mercurial Repositories on xenbits.xensource.com/Mercurial ve

To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Mercurial Repositories on xenbits.xensource.com/Mercurial version 0.6c
From: James Bulpin <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:07:40 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:05:51 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
     apparent problems
  2. people wishing to upgrade their version of Mercurial to 0.6c
     using a local repository created with an older version will
     need to tweak their repository.

Detail:

Matt Mackall, the Mercurial developer, has found the cause of the problems we were experiencing with the upgrade to Mercurial 0.6c. The full detail was forwarded to this list by Ling Xiaofeng earlier under the title "FW: problem for mecurial 0.6c". The following is the xenbits specific stuff.

The root cause was a change to the on-disk file layout affecting directories that end in ".d" (tools/examples/init.d being our problem). What this means for us is that any repository cloned or init'ed with a version of Mercurial prior to 0.6c will need to be tweaked using the process suggested by Matt:

   find .hg -type d -name "*.[di]" -exec echo mv {} {}.hg ";"

   Run this at the top of your working dir. Take out the 'echo' once
   you've confirmed it's finding the right files.

(An alternative method is to create a fresh clone from xenbits using 0.6c as this will create the correct file layout.)

I've done this to all repositories on xenbits and we are now running 0.6c which appears to be working fine now. All repositories verify successfully.

Note that this only applies to repositories created with Mercurial versions older than 0.6c which are now accessed with 0.6c. The wire protocol is unchanged as it is only local on-disk layout that differs. This issue will *not* affect the following scenarios:
 - fresh clones made with any Mercurial version
- any use of 0.6b or earlier as the client (the fact that our server runs 0.6c makes no difference)

Regards,
James