RE: [Xen-devel] What does the "Merge" do in changelog?

To: "Robin van Leeuwen" <rvl@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] What does the "Merge" do in changelog?
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:48:22 +0100
Delivery-date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:46:32 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I see a lot of "Merge" subjects in the changelog mailinglists.
> Forgive my ignorance :-) but is this some kind of special patch?

Mercurial currently isn't very smart about merging branches. Each merge
results in a changset (that has to be given a checkin comment), even if
the merge was entirely automatic.

Since Mercurial's merge algorithm isn't as sophisticated as BK's, the
merge changeset is often quite large. Sometimes a little manual
intervention is required in the merge, but unfortunately this gets
incorporated into the same changeset and hence the manual edit usually
gets lost amongst the rest of the automated merge.

Mercurial is working out pretty well for us, but this is one area we're
hoping will improve over time.

BTW: We're planning on upgrading xenbits.xensource.com to Mercurial 0.6c
over the weekend. It's probably a good idea for developers to upgrade
too.

One particular point to note about mercurial 0.6c is that 'hg init' is
no longer supported. You need to use 'hg clone', which works like the BK
command used to.

Ian