RE: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-changelog] fail domU creation if memory need co

To: "Anthony Liguori" <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-changelog] fail domU creation if memory need couldn't be succeed after ballooning out dom0
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:50:38 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:48:48 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> In general, we should try to avoid using timeouts at all
> cost.  If we do have to use a timeout, then we should make
> sure it's long enough that the timeout is never going to
> happen.  It's surprisingly easy to have enough load on your
> system such you miss a 2 second timeout.

Yep, in general I'm all for making timeouts long enough to be visible.

However, this timeout is different: its something we expect may fail (as
opposed to an internal failure of the tools). We're asking domain 0 to
try and shrink itself. It may be unable to, in which case trying for a
few seconds and then failing the domain create seems like a good
approach. If domain 0 can't page enough stuff out after a second or two,
its unlikely to succeed without operator intervention (e.g. killing
something).

2s is perhaps overly short, but I doubt going larger than 5s would
result in any greater chance of success, and would just anoy users.

Ian