Re: [Xen-devel] Balloon tests

To: Paul Larson <plars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Balloon tests
From: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 12:44:11 -0500
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 17:42:49 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Paul Larson wrote:

I've submitted these before, and there were no comments.  Any
suggestions for addition tests on the balloon driver would be
appreciated.  Here it is again as a patch putting them
under /tools/tests/balloon.
Hi Paul,

As you know, I'm a big fan of randomized testing. A single randomized test can take the place of a large number of single function tests.

For something like the balloon driver, I think this would work best in concert with a larger test program that actually checked the results of ballooning through different mechanism (via /proc/xen/balloon, xm set-mem, or writing to the store directly).

The procpipe code I submitted yesterday would be an excellent way to coordinate this. If you'd like, we can take this offline and develop a procpipe based balloon testsuite that really stresses all interfaces for the balloon driver.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori