Re: [Xen-devel] allocate_empty_lowmem_region hypervisor function

To: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] allocate_empty_lowmem_region hypervisor function
From: Ross McIlroy <ross.mcilroy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 14:20:59 +0100
Cc: cwc22@xxxxxxxxx, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ross C Mcilroy <mcilrorc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 13:19:29 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> It's only used in the backend drivers, so I guess the build is trying to omit
> that as dead code as far as a domU is concerned.

Could it be added to DomU, otherwise there is no way to map foreign
pages using the grant tables in unprivileged domains.  I thought the
point of grant tables was to allow inter domain communication between
non-privileged domains?  I could easily supply a patch if people think
this should be possible.

> IIRC the function is pure Linux-isms with no Xen-specifics, so it should be
> fine to
> build into a domU (or even x86 Linux).

It uses the balloon driver and hypervisor calls, so I don't think it
would work in x86 Linux, but it works fine in DomU.

Thanks,

Ross