Re: [Xen-devel] domain_pause and vcpu_pause on currently executing domai

To: George Washington Dunlap III <dunlapg@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] domain_pause and vcpu_pause on currently executing domain?
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 21:38:11 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:41:53 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 18 Jul 2005, at 21:33, George Washington Dunlap III wrote:

I just discovered the domain_pause() and vcpu_pause() functionality, and i was wondering why the functions call BUG if the target domain/vcpu is currently executing. It seems like being able to say, "Pause the currently running domain as soon as this hypervisor event is done" would be a useful one; all that would be required is having domain_sleep_sync() raise the schedule softirq if it's the currently executing one.

Was there a particular reason this was implemented this way? Or was the use I described not envisioned?

We do have something a bit like that, for debuggers (domain_pause_for_debugger). Apart from that, I'm not sure what it would be useful for. Well, actually it would be useful if you could pause the current domain to get it off the scheduler runqueues but still carry on your current thread of execution within Xen. But Xen context switching (on x86 at least) doesn't really allow that. And if you can't do that, hacks to make domain_pause() at least appear to work for the currently-executing domain probably aren;t very useful and would quite likely lead to confused people writing subtly broken code. :-)

Those interfaces are still open for comments though, and can change if there is a strong argument to do so.

 -- Keir