Re: [Xen-devel] lowest limit for balloon?

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 13:38 +0100, Keir Fraser wrote:
> It's probably a job for higher-level management tools. Maybe a safety
> catch should be placed on 'xm balloon', but the intra-VM
> /proc/xen/balloon interface is definitely not intended for the casual
> user.
I still think /proc/xen/balloon makes it far too easy to shoot yourself
in the foot, even for the non-casual user.  Simply forgetting to leave
the units off the end of an echo can bring your domain (even dom0) to a
screeching halt.

Such as doing:
echo 200000 > /proc/xen/balloon
instead of:
echo 200000K > /proc/xen/balloon.

I know that it's really difficult to determine how low is too low.
Could I recommend a small interface change though, that would force the
user to always specify units {B,K,M,...}?  That might help a little at
least.

--
Thanks,
Paul Larson