Re: [Xen-devel] ia64 event channels

To: Matt Chapman <matthewc@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] ia64 event channels
From: Arun Sharma <arun.sharma@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 15:17:48 -0700
Cc: "Ling, Xiaofeng" <xiaofeng.ling@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:16:59 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Matt Chapman wrote:
This is the one change we've made to architecture-independent code
for event channels.  Rather than polling the event channel flags
on every return, we pend an interrupt in evtchn_set_pending.

This might be better abstracted into some architecture-dependent
header file, but I'm not sure where.  We could add an asm/event.h,
though it does seem a bit excessive to add a file just for one
trivial hook.

Not all event channel events get injected into the guest. For eg, on VT-x and VT-i, we use event channels to communicate events from the device models to the hypervisor on handling memory mapped and accesses to I/O ports.

Have you already looked at this patch:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.devel/10852

vmx_check_guest_event() does something very similar.

Also, it might be good to unify the names (callback_irq vs evtchn_vector -- I like evtchn_vector better).

        -Arun