RE: [Xen-devel] wget and Zope crashes on post-2.0.6 -testing

To: "Osma Suominen" <osma.suominen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] wget and Zope crashes on post-2.0.6 -testing
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 14:50:31 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 13:49:46 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> I reported about time-related problems some days ago, with no replies:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.devel/10628
>
> I have problems with e.g. wget and Zope crashing on domU on a
> recent -testing build. This is on a Debian Sarge system, with
> kernel 2.6.11.11 and a Xen -testing snapshot from two days
> ago (2005-05-31). The problems are not as easy to trigger as
> with earlier versions (e.g. the 2.0.5 demo CD), but they do happen.
>
> The symptom is that during heavy load, wget crashes with the message
> "acalc_rate: Assertion `msecs >= 0' failed", which probably
> means that time has stepped backwards (looking at earlier
> xen-devel posts).

I can't reproduce this wget crash, even running seti@home in the
background as you suggest.
I'm running this in dom0 on an SMP Xeon box.

Are you running NTP on your system? If so, what does "echo peers | ntpq"
show? What happens if you disable it?

Is there anything odd about the system? Is the CPU clock speed correctly
identified?

You could try the unstable tree -- it would certainly be interesting to
know if there was a difference. The issue must be really quite specific
to your machine or setup (e.g. the crystal is completely knackered) as
otherwise lots of people would be complaining.

Best,
Ian