Re: [Xen-devel] silly diff question

To: Andrew Thompson <andrewkt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] silly diff question
From: aq <aquynh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 01:04:35 -0500
Cc: Xen Dev <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 30 May 2005 06:03:52 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 5/30/05, Andrew Thompson <andrewkt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd like to submit a few updates to some documentation. I've never done
> this before, so I'm not sure how to call diff to get an acceptable patch.
>
> Do the name names of my pristine and tweaked folders make any difference?
>
> I have looked at a few PATCH emails and think that this is the command I
> should use: diff -Nru oldfolder newfolder

i usually use diff like this: diff -Nurp <origine> <modified>

it is better to run this command from outside of the top directory of
xen, for example: diff -Nurp xen-2.0.6.org xen-2.0.6.modified >
mypatch

the you will want to submit the "mypatch" file just generated to the list.

see also -X and -x option of diff. these option will be helpful to you.

good luck,
aq