Device model architecture (Was Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Are linker scripts ne

To: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Device model architecture (Was Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Are linker scripts needed?)
From: Arun Sharma <arun.sharma@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 11:28:51 -0700
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 May 2005 18:28:22 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ian Pratt wrote:
I'd be inclined to move to a model where we execute the device emulation
in the root (monitor) VMCS, using the same protection mechanism we use
for para-virtualized guests e.g. segmentation for x86, paging for
x86_64. The device emulation should should work like a normal front-end
driver, connecting via a device channel to a normal backend.

It sounded like you were proposing linking the device models against Xen. But your subsequent messages appear to say:

- For every VMX domain created, create a new helper domain
- The helper domain shares it's page list with the VMX domain
- xen is protected from the helper domain using paging/segmentation
- helper domain runs minios
- Use the existing mechanisms (backend drivers) to get storage/network services from dom0

Did I get it right? If yes,

- why is this better than running the device models inside the VMX domain? Do you expect switching to the helper domain to be faster than a vmx world switch?
- what's the advantage of running minios vs xenolinux in the helper domain?

I think we all agree that:

- It'd be good to make the device models "embeddable" so that it could be moved closer to the domain it's servicing. This is where the bulk of the work is, regardless of which model we end up choosing.

- Make sure that there is a unified way to manage the resources given to the VMX domain (including the device models)

        -Arun