Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] xen on suse 9.3 and software raid

On 12 May 2005, at 15:28, Gerd Knorr wrote:

(which is called by raid6_before_mmx, which in turn is called by
raid6_mmx1_gen_syndrome, both calls not visible in the trace
because they are inlined).

Ideas how to fix that?  Other than just disabling raid6?  Can
that code be replaced with xen hypercalls?  fsave & frestore
are also used btw.  It's all in drivers/md/raid6x86.h

This is a known issue with Xen 2.0, already fixed in unstable (by emulating the privileged instructions).

There are three options here:
1. Live with it. Disable raid6 in Xen 2.0 and wait for upgrade to forthcoming Xen 3.0.
 2. Backport some of the privileged-instruction emulation to Xen 2.0.
3. Patch the raid6x86.h for Xen 2.0 to do hypercalls rather than priv instructions.

I think either options 1 or 2 would be best. Backporting the relevant bits of the instruction decoder and emulator from the unstable repository would not be very difficult, if this is a big show-stopper for anyone.

 -- Keir