Re: [Xen-devel] CONFIG_SMP or !CONFIG_SMP... that is the question. WAS:

To: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] CONFIG_SMP or !CONFIG_SMP... that is the question. WAS: something about ia64 that nobody would read :-)
From: Christian Limpach <christian.limpach@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 21:01:11 +0100
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 11 May 2005 20:00:45 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 5/11/05, Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)
<dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > From: Ian Pratt [mailto:m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
>
> > It's daft that we even have a CONFIG_SMP option in Xen. It spends most
> > of its time broken because no-one using x86 builds it, and you won't
> > even be able to buy any non SMP hardware before long...
> >
> > I'd vote for expunging CONFIG_SMP.
>
> I've heard its not uncommon when debugging nasty problems on Linux
> to turn off SMP as it simplifies the world considerably.

I would either run on non-SMP hardware, use the nosmp option or if
that's gone, just nobble the code that discovers multiple CPUs -- all
these are definitely preferable to compiling Xen without CONFIG_SMP
since that might change the code so much that the bug might not occur
anymore.

    christian