[Xen-devel] Paravirtualized xenlinux/ia64 available

To: <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Paravirtualized xenlinux/ia64 available
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 13:56:00 -0700
Cc: "Munoz, Alberto J" <alberto.j.munoz@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 May 2005 20:55:38 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have completed the first *functionally* paravirtualized
xenlinux/ia64.  This means that if you use these sources,
no privification (binary translation) is necessary.

Note that I said "functionally".  There is still work
to do to increase performance... it's not bad but
there's still significant opportunities for improvement.
And this is domain0 paravirtualization only; no changes
for virtual I/O (multiple domains not supported yet).
Note also that this is not a "transparent" paravirtualization
(which would allow one binary to work both on top of Xen
and on bare metal), though that certainly now seems feasible.

I can't easily separate out the paravirtualization changes
due to performance (so far) and those functionally required
but the code change statistics relative to stock
linux-2.6.11 are as follows:

files changed: 14 (including Makefiles/buildfiles)
linux common files changed: 0 (all ia64-archdep)
diff -u: 1098 lines
added (including conditional compile): 621 lines
added (ignoring conditional compile): 408 lines
removed: 0 lines

Instructions for pulling xenlinux/ia64 are included in
the message below.

Dan