[Xen-devel] problem with SMP machine

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] problem with SMP machine
From: Lars Rasmusson <Lars.Rasmusson@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:49:57 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:49:40 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have trouble with getting Xen to properly use some of our SMP
machines.
When Xen boots, it first detects the processors, but later it reports

(XEN) mtrr: v2.0 (20020519)
(XEN) mtrr: your CPUs had inconsistent fixed MTRR settings
(XEN) mtrr: probably your BIOS does not setup all CPUs.
(XEN) mtrr: corrected configuration.

Then xm info only lists one core.

Pure Linux 2.6.10 with SMP is able to boot without complaints, and  the
exact same Xen kernel boots fine on some other SMP machines that we
have...

There might be three explanations to this (and probably a fourth,
correct one, which I leave as an exercise to the reader :-)

1)  Xen thinks that there is something wrong, while there in fact isn't.
2)  Linux does some magic to handle this, that Xen currently does not.
3)  Linux is erroneously ignoring this error.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

/Lars