RE: [Xen-devel] glibc patch for TLS?

To: "Michael Long" <nikarul@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] glibc patch for TLS?
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:57:14 +0100
Cc: Nils Toedtmann <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 20:57:00 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Nope, that's what I forgot.  I recompiled the patched glibc
> with that flag and everything seems to be working fine.  I
> can post the ebuild if people are interested.  It's pretty
> straightforward, just adding the patch and making for the
> CFLAGS get set properly.
>
> I'm now compiling all my packages with
> -mno-tls-direct-seg-refs.  Is this necessary/recommended?  I
> know some ebuild strip out CFLAGS it's unsure of, so if it's
> necessary other packages may need to be modified.

Glibc really hammers the thread local storage stuff and hence
experiences rather more of a slow down rather than any applications
we've come across, but it would obviously be preferable to recompile
anything that uses tls.

One of the hard things is figuring out which applications actually make
use of the thread local attribute, and hence would actually benefit from
recompiling.

I guess we could modify the warning message to print out the name of the
process that did the -ve segment access...

Ian