Re: [Xen-devel] understanding __linear_l2_table and friends

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 05:08:27PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> That is why the PAE effort seems so pointless to me. I estimate it will
> take some months at least until it is stable and released, and at this time
> most of the new x86 world is x86-64 capable.
>
> The only boxes for which PAE is needed are basically some old servers,
> and these will be quickly replaced with new 64bit capable ones.

sorry andi I disagree
"some" is incorrect. there are huge huge numbers of servers outthere,
you don't just replace them. many potential xen users probably have 100s
of relatively recent x86 servers around.

one doesn't just replace servers. maybe at home, but not companies.
if you have a server farm with 4000 systems, you don't just toss it.
I think it's worth the effort