RE: [Xen-devel] DOM0_SETDOMAININITIALMEM

To: "Michael A Fetterman" <Michael.Fetterman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] DOM0_SETDOMAININITIALMEM
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:04:52 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:04:40 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Is DOM0_SETDOMAININITIALMEM a deprecated hypercall?
>
> I don't see any evidence of anyone using it in the current
> unstable tree.
>
> Currently, DOM0_SETDOMAININITIALMEM and DOM0_CREATEDOMAIN use
> the function alloc_new_dom_mem() inconsistently with one
> another, causing debug-mode builds to crash xen when you
> attempt to allocate a domain with more memory than it
> currently free in the system.

I'd rather remove the initial mem argument from CREATEDOMAIN, and have
the latter just allocate a domid without any actual resources.

Come to think of it, we could do away with setdominitialmem as well, and
just use setmaxmem and then MEMOP_increase_reservation (which will also
return the mfn list you were probably just about to ask for...)

Ian